Plump thin lips, enhance shallow contours, soften facial creases, remove wrinkles and improve the appearance of scars.
WHAT ARE DERMAL FILLERS?
Dermal fillers help to diminish facial lines and restore volume and fullness in the face.
As we age, our faces naturally lose subcutaneous fat. The facial muscles are then working closer to the skin surface, so smile lines and crow’s feet become more apparent. The facial skin also stretches a bit, adding to this loss of facial volume. Other factors that affect the facial skin include sun exposure, heredity and lifestyle.
WHAT DERMAL FILLERS CAN DO?
- Smooth out lines around nose and mouth (a.k.a. marionette lines, smile lines, and parentheses)
- Enhance & restore volume to sunken cheeks or temples
- Diminish vertical lip lines
- Plump & enhance the lips
- Smooth out a chin crease
- Undereye hollowing
WHAT ARE FILLER MADE OF?
Hyaluronic Acid (HA)
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance that is already found in your skin. It helps keep skin plump and hydrated. HA fillers are typically soft and gel-like. The results are temporary, lasting 6 to 12 months or longer before the body gradually and naturally absorbs the particles. Most HA fillers are infused with lidocaine to help minimize discomfort during and after treatment. FDA approved HA fillers include:
Juvéderm products: Juvéderm XC, VOLUMA, VOLBELLA, VOLLURE
Restylane products: Restylane, Restylane Silk, Restylane Lyft, Restylane Refyne, and Restylane Defyne
With so many dermal filler products on the market, it can be difficult to know which option is best for you. Each product is uniquely formulated to have a certain texture, density, and injection depth, which means that certain fillers work better for certain areas of concern. During your initial assessment you and your provider will determine which filler(s) are best suited.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING TREATMENT
Dermal filler injections are non-surgical and typically completed during an office visit. Your initial treatment will begin with a consultation to discuss your concerns and goals.
- During your consultation, Aymee, RN will evaluate your area of concern and review your medical history. While the risks associated with dermal fillers are minimal, you need to fully disclose your medical history prior to treatment, as certain allergies, skin and neurological conditions, or medications can jeopardize your safety or results. For instance, you need to tell your cosmetic surgeon if you have been taking NSAIDs (e.g., aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) or blood thinners, as these increase the likelihood of bruising.
Your injectable filler treatment
- Just before the actual treatment, the area will be cleaned, and you may be given a topical anesthetic to numb the area prior to injection. The filler products also contain lidocaine, a mild anesthetic, which is intended to help minimize discomfort during and after your treatment. Your provider will then inject a precise amount of filler strategically beneath the skin.
Depending on the product and the areas treated, you should be able to notice results immediately after receiving filler injections. Some patients experience mild bruising and swelling, but these are temporary and should subside over the days following treatment. Aymee, RN will review post care following treatment